Tuesday, June 03, 2008

More of my quilt fix

I did promise you some more eye candy from Sunday
There were a few dolls house sized quilts - this one made me think of Hedgehog who visited me back in April

Just look how sweet these little individual hedgehogs are.

Louise was very taken by this 'stack and whack' quilt - I haven't the inclination to make one of these myself - maybe I'll teach her how to make herself one some day.

I've had a book on curved log cabin for a while - I take it out, peruse it, think how lovely the patterns are and then dismiss it thinking how I'd never have the patience to make a quilt in that style
Looking at these two cushions - maybe I should bring out the book again, blow the dust off and make up a couple of blocks to try it out - after all I could just make them into cushions and not have to commit myself to a full quilt

I've always been a fan of hexagons over paper - it's how I first became acquainted with patchwork when I was not much more than Nick's age - I have a quilt top almost complete in a cupboard (only waiting for the final part hexagons completing down the sides - that's the bit I hate the most) - so this one took my fancy. It makes a pleasant change from the usual Grandmother's Flower Garden setting. I think this one had won the award for hand piecing at Malvern.

This clever little thing was simply an arrangement of horizontal strips but carefully chosen for colour, value and position - makes a very pleasing landscape

This was a fabulous study of rock surfaces. I'm not an art quilter but this really caught my eye.


The dyeing and over stitching made you want to study it for ages
And finally a macro shot of lichen on the rocks making up the sea defences on our Sunday wander - obviously she had used something like this for inspiration.
Might even treat you to the rest of the quilts tomorrow........................

7 comments:

Juliann in WA said...

Oh my two lovely posts with so much to think about. Love the quilts and that fabric that you purchased is wonderful. Those are great colors. But I think my favorite is the picture of the lichen on the rock - the yellow is so rich and what a great contrast to the grey of the rock. Is there a quilt block in that picture?

sewkalico said...

Mmm, twisted log cabin, go on then!!!

Jeanne said...

I LOVE those little hedgehogs ... I'm still in my stitchery phase here :)
Jeanne

meggie said...

Thanks for another lovely post! Love the tiny quilts.

Clare said...

That doll quilt is so sweet.

Hedgehog said...

Love those hedgehogs!! I'm looking for some handwork for the summer - will have to file this away!

Alison said...

The strips that make a landscape is amazing. What a cool effect.