........... how having a neat, tidy, well organised and labelled to within an inch of its life sewing area can revitalise the old creative juices
After rediscovering them in amongst the melee I pulled out the blocks that Sarah made some years ago for her Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Award
It's one of my personal idiosyncracies but I struggle with sampler blocks where some of the edge of the block is of the same fabric as the sashings - I just don't like blocks to melt into sashings
So the nine different blocks gained a 3/4" border of the green fabric just to rationalise them all
Then I decided maybe sawtooth stars round the cornerstones would be just the ticket - not done these before but how hard can it be?
2.5" sashings need 1.5" squares to take off the corners right?
So lots of stitching, cutting and pressing later - still not comfortable with triangles and I know some of you quilters out there will quite rightly think what a wuss I am for that :)
Each sashing has little yellow corners at each end There we go - stars on the cornerstones
And here's the top so far - a 3/4" or 1" border in green to follow and then a flowered wider border for the finish - I hadn't realised until I downloaded this just how dappled the light is out in the garden today
Can't, for the life of me, think why these blocks have been hanging around for so long...........
.......... unless it's because they, and the accompanying fabric, have been awol in a room full of detritus all this time of course
(By the way Blogger is driving me crazy putting in all these carriage returns when I've taken them all out - apologies for anyone reading this having to scroll down repeatedly to get to the next bit of my spiel - anyone with any hints how to avoid this please let me know)