Sunday, March 23, 2014

It's been quite a wee while..............

............. since I did any hand applique with freezer paper

I've done plenty of handwork over the past few months, but most of it has been English Paper Piecing over hexagons with my lovely Liberty Tana Lawn

Despite all the tops I showed you last time I still have to make the two alternate flavour quilts for a friend who is expecting in about six weeks.  To complete the little boy option I could have gone back to that pussy cat sawtooth star quilt I showed the start of in the last post - indeed eventually I will do

But with so many blue options already done to the flimsy stage I had a fancy for something a little more girly



When I was hunting out yellows for the blue and yellow floating rectangle quilt I came across a big piece of floral fabric with a buttery yellow background.  It has salmon and lilac flowers and mid green leaves in a pretty sprig pattern so I also dug out some Spraytime in a lilac plus a spotty green and a salmon pink with little white flowers on it

Looking through all the photos I've saved on my computer of quilts I like and wanted to save for further inspiration I found a design with simple flowers made with a four patch snipping one corner off each quarter



Add a hand appliqued circle in the centre and there you have it - a simple flower



Five of them with a lilac sashing between and you have the start of a strippy quilt



Then add a deeper sash before the next row of flowers and some more hand applique and you're ready to add the next row of flowers



I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed hand applique

Better piece some more flowers so I can do some more

3 comments:

loulee said...

Looking lovely Anne.

Josie said...

It looks great, a really super job. All of the new parents getting handmade quilts are lucky to know someone as talented (and kind) as you!

Plum Cox said...

Such beautiful applique! Such a lovely quilt idea (yet another one!)!