Friday, October 13, 2006

A funny old week





It's been a funny old week this week

Firstly I've been not too good as I'm suffering with Labyrinthitis - a previously unheard of (by me) complaint affecting the inner ear which keeps making the room spin when I least want it to.

The doc has given me balance tablets but they make me, if not drowsy, pretty tired all the time

Things have been incredibly busy at work and as I've had the Area Finance Officer in twice and the Governor Support Adviser in once I really couldn't afford to be off this week as the doctor really wanted me to be. So I've battled through and Nigel has been a real brick coming home from work as early as he could get away with to do the taxi runs and enable me to go to bed early just to be able to cope with it all.

Still we've got to the end of the week relatively unscathed and the balance thing is improving albeit slowly

The two younger ones are both cub scouts and the other week they were all given a quiz about the town to answer for a 'local area knowledge' badge.

So two Sundays ago we spent the afternoon as a family wandering round our adopted home town looking for clues and generally answering all the questions to the best of our ability. One of the answers was given to us by friends who are locals as it's the colloquial name for a particular bridge which we would never have found written down anywhere. However the rest were all our own work

The photos above are pictures of various views of the town which I gleaned from the net as I haven't managed to get long enough near the laptop to work out how to download from the camera

The funniest thing about all this was that the kids found out on Tuesday that they were two of the only three cubs who got all the answers right - Akela (the cubscout leader) thought this was hilarious as they're the only ones who don't come from the town. The other boy to get full marks was the boy we kept bumping into on that Sunday afternoon as we looked round and searched for the solutions

Tomorrow after Nick has played football we head off up to Worcester to the Out-Laws (Nigel's parents) for an overnight stay as Sarah has a match against her old club in Gloucester on Sunday afternoon and Worcester is a good deal nearer to make the journey from on Sunday morning. Plus we get to see Nigel's family and probably catch up with some friends in Gloucester too - lots of birds with one stone there - Result!!!

13 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

sorry about the world spinning on you - sounds horrible. hope you are a-ok quickly!

Dormouse said...

Labyrinthitis is horrible. Major kudos for managing to get in to work. I hope they appreciate it. Fingers crossed that it clears up soon.

Well done to your boys for getting all the answers. It sounds like a fun thing to do.

Have a great weekend.

Pam said...

I'm surprised you were able to work at all. I had that once and it was horrible. I spent a week in bed - everytime I lifted my head of the pillow the room spun around so bad I couldn't even see. You're obviously a much stronger person than me!! :)

Hope next week is much better for you.

ForestJane said...

I think interviewing the locals about the name of the bridge is certainly a great way to find out about the town!

Hope your ear problems work out soon.

Fiona said...

Those ear problems don't sound so good, even worse combined with finance. Hope you are feeling better and enjoy your weekend.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Anne, hope the spinning thing gets better soon. That has got to be terrible. And congrats on getting all hte clues right! Very fun!

Lily Mulholland said...

Anne that condition sounds horrible. Hope you're on the mend soon. Sounds like you had fun learning about your adopted town. I was in the Girl Guides and Venturers. I used to love getting those badges!!

Ali Honey said...

Anne I do hope you are back on an even keel very soon. Get Well!

Doodlebug Gail said...

My sincere sympathies on your "spinning world". My DH suffers with vertigo ...... it can get so bad that he sometimes spends up to 5 days in bed. No fun for him and for those taking care of him - vbg.

Hope that your medication takes care of it.

Melanie said...

Hope you feel better soon...Go Mom!!!sounds like you are managing the juggling life of work and family really well. You're my hero!!!
Melanie

Lois R. said...

Ooo... So sorry to hear about the spinning!

So funny about the locals not getting all the answers right. But Eric and I have always found that if you're from the town, you take it for granted. But, having been away from and returned to our hometown, we're determined to see and enjoy the local sites that we never saw or appreciated before.

Lois R. said...

Forgot to say "hope you feel better soon!!!"

Laura said...

Anne - I hope you are feeling better soon! Take Care.