Sunday, June 03, 2007

And some more stitchery.............

Once I'd finished the eight large stars with their central buttons I stood back and thought - shall I or shan't I?

Does it really need any more stitchery?

Probably not - it looked quite happy to stand alone with no more decoration. I even got to the point of cutting the wadding and backing fabric to size ready for pinning.

But then the twitching of the stitching hand took over and I decided that enough is never enough.

And here we are - a sort of interlocking garland of little star 'buttons' linked with curls and french knots.

I did consider using the same coloured floss for these and then decided I'd quite like to pick out the more pinkish parts of the plaid instead.

I'm not sure yet if this colour will work, it's too soon to tell, but I reckon that by the time I've stitched the whole thing it would probably have been total overkill in the bluer shade of the large stars.

Not that it won't be overkill anyway - but hey, I'm enjoying working on it - after all it is only a 'white elephant cover'!

18 comments:

sewkalico said...

I think bringing in the pink again will look really effective and will work well.
Handwork can be quite addictive as well as therapeutic - You just enjoy it!

Dormouse said...

Hey, there were empty spaces... they need filling. ;)

It is going to be stunning. I love that you've brought more of the pink into it and that design is so cute.

Hedgehog said...

I think it's going to look great!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Doodlebug Gail said...

Looking good! What stitch are you using - stem, chain? Very pretty indeed.

Darlene said...

That's looking absolutely adorable. The stitching was the perfect addition!

Patti said...

Marvelous! Can there really be too much stitchery? I'm thinking not! Love that little star with the button in the center. I have 5 posts of yours to read so I don't know why this is a "white elephant cover". That's what I get for reading backwards!

Tanya said...

Oh yes! The extra embroidery really makes it shine! To think of you doing all the extra work! But think how happy you'll be when it is done, instead of "Maybe I should have..." or "I wish I had..." Lovely, lovely embroidery.

meggie said...

"Only a White Elephant cover"
AS IF!
It is great!

Libby said...

Remember . . . more is more. I think the new stitchery will look great *s*

YankeeQuilter said...

Your white elephant will never be the same! (This should certainly keep anyone from piling anything on that table!)

May Britt said...

It looks great. Now you are hooked on stitchery :) (as I am)

Lily Mulholland said...

Well hey, you're having fun with a fun project - there can't be anything wrong with that! Love your stitching too.

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

WOW, very impressed...
Suzie Sews

Ruth's Place said...

It looks wonderful!

So glad to hear that your Spencer's Stars quilt was well received, too.

atet said...

I like the lighter color -- and the design as well. Can't wait to see what this one looks like finished!

atet said...

I also forgot to ask, are you using a stem stitch or a chain stitch for your outlines?

Anonymous said...

It's looking very pretty and I like the pinker stitching too.

Clare said...

Its looking so lovely I think you are going to have to use this for something else and make another one for the Hostess Trolley.