Friday, June 15, 2007

Just taking baby steps here

Well I did make a little progress here last night and this morning

I was struggling to decide what sort of border(s) I wanted on my table protector
I'm usually a firm believer in the 'quilt's not finished until it's got at least two or more borders, the deeper the better' school of thought
However I had the restricting factor of overall size to contend with on this one - I really don't want it to overhang the sides of the table very far at all
So I knew I could only afford a 1.5" border all round and just didn't feel like doing anything elaborate.
In a perfect world I might well have pieced the border with the joins matching the block joins in all different fabrics but to be honest at the moment I'm right out of energy so I pulled out the first piece of fabric I came across that was long enough for me not to have to pieced the lengths and cut some 2" strips
It's a piece salvaged from some very posh Ralph Lauren bedding my husband salvaged at minimal cost from a warehouse where they'd had flood damage. This was the skirt of the valance, hence the length of the pieces and thus no joins
It's an odd fabric, all shades of china blue with big blowsy roses on it, but of course cut to this width you don't get the full impression of the pattern
So I thought as I'd mixed the star block fabrics with such gay abandon it was quite fitting that I should border it with something equally bizarre
However I do intend to do a scrap binding in lots of different fabrics, probably the ones I've used for the stars
Once I get past the dreaded sandwiching process that is anyway :o)

11 comments:

Lily Mulholland said...

Well done Anne! Love the story of where that fabric came from too. Well done Nigel :)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Yummy! You have to love a bright star!! Tracey (Good pick up! )

Fiona said...

Sometimes you just have to take the quickest route to a finish.

meggie said...

I love the idea of the border, & the story behind it. I think brights in the binding will be terrific.

Chookyblue...... said...

lokks very nice..

~Bren~ said...

I love a scrappy binding. I think it will be the perfect thing on your quilt. Looks great!!

sewkalico said...

Nice and bright and cheery and a scrappy binding will pull it all together. Great work!

ForestJane said...

I think it looks nice... :) From back here in Tennessee, I thought the blue/light in your border was clouds printed on the fabric.

Now that I know it's roses, you could just claim you wanted the quilt to reflect a 'bed of roses' lol

Unknown said...

I think the blue border is great, just go ahead with it.

Clare said...

Ralph Lauren - oh posh! Well done Nigerl. I agreee with Forest Jane. I thought it was clouds. The quilt is looking good.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

From the photo I thought it was sky fabric with big puffy white clouds, perfect to border the stars! But, then I read the explanation... anyway, it looks great and the multi-fabric binding will be the perfect finish! Well done.