Sunday, January 12, 2014

Fair exchange ...................

................. is no robbery, or so they say



Remember this secret santa present for my work colleague

The recipient has a little girl of around 3 years old

She obviously had other plans for this festive wallhanging

She purloined it for use as a doll quilt and refused to part with it

So I thought that maybe she might be persuaded to give it back if she had a suitable replacement



Twelve squares of striped fabric stitched together in alternating directions, surrounded by a white border and three of my trademark butterflies appliqued on to pretty it up



This photo taken in a different light shows you the quilting - I intended to leave the butterflies unquilted in false trapunto style and quilt a different pattern on the white border.  However the white fabric is from a cotton sheet with a very tight weave and the machine just didn't like it, skipping stitches and thoroughly misbehaving so I left the border puffy and unquilted and I think it works.  I will have to address this issue at some point as I've used this fabric in other projects which won't allow it to remain unquilted - any ideas for a solution anyone?

However back to this little quilt - Mummy tells me it's a real hit and, unbeknown to me, perfectly matches the purple doll's pram that Father Christmas brought for her

Psychic or what?

Another satisfied customer and such fun to make

2 comments:

Plum Cox said...

Lovely little quilt. You don't say whether she parted with the first quilt to allow it to be used as a hanging at some point....!
No idea how to make fabric 'play nicely' when you want to quilt it. On tight Batiks I tend to use brand new needles to try and reduce skipped stitches. I guess that stitching more slowly may help too, but I'd bow to more expert opinion.

Shirley said...

Just caught up with you via Jane at Sew Create It. Started following you so I can now keep up with you. Happy Belated New Year.