Today was a foggy dank dark dismal day - the sort of day that turns cobwebs into crystal necklaces strung amongst the bushes as if by magic. The sort of day that once you've walked the children to school and back makes you wonder why you bothered to wash and blow dry your hair - especially if it's prone to crinkling like mine. The fog didn't lift at all today and it was quite chilly, becoming even more so this evening as you can see from the ice that's accumulated on the car aerial on the short round trip to the supermarket for the heavy non-perishable Christmas foodstuffs - the fruit and veg will mean another visit at the weekend :o(
Today was also the last day of term for both the kids and I which this year feels a little close to the wire although I do believe some counties aren't breaking for Christmas until Friday - now that is leaving things a bit late.
This morning before I went to work at 10.30 the stitching bug still had a serious hold on me and having virtually finished all the Christmas sewing I decided that, having been in the house over 15 months, it was time I made some cushion covers for my lounge to match the aqua, sand and cream decor rather than the scruffy ancient red and dark green ones that matched the old house.
I've never been a great fan of piecing, always preferring applique but I've really enjoyed the flying geese I've made in certain Christmas presents so set to and stitched my first cushion front. And that was all before heading off to work.
When we returned this evening I decided I'd quite like some texture so merrily sandwiched it and stitched away thoughout the evening between more boring tasks like fixing tea and a romantic trip for two without the kids with DH to, of all places, the supermarket!!!
I've never tried a feather design before or for that matter any micro-stippling but I just decided to leave the coloured sections unquilted and puffy and to stitch away on the cream areas. The feather was totally freehand and isn't totally even but I'm delighted with the result and with a quick back and some fasteners it will be able to replace the first of those tatty red and green numbers.