Friday, December 29, 2006

Leukaemia Blocks all done

Here are the rest of the blocks I've made to send to Clare for her Leukaemia quilts.
This makes nine in total and that'll be it for now because I'm bored of red and white - time to have a play with something different.

I quite fancy a totally scrap quilt - apart from my first bullseye I've never actually done one and the concept of just picking up and stitching the next piece in the pile regardless of colour or pattern is quite alien to me so it will be a bit of a challenge.

I've never been a great fan of piecing - struggle with triangles big time - but the flying geese that I've done for bits and pieces lately have been less tricky as I have a set of clever rulers to make them with so I think I might go for a star quilt using the block you see above on the RH side of the centre row with the heart in the middle of the star and go for totally in scraps just using darks and lights as the differential.

I shall make the points (the backgrounds of the geese bits) in the dark and the hearts in dark too with light backgrounds and then dark sashing with light cornerstones. Probably a 6" or 8" block with 1" or 2" sashings.

Mind you don't hold your breath I may well get bored before I've done enough geese to give it sufficient variety - we'll see!

As for Emergency Ward 10 in the Bebbs household, we're all improving, some quicker than others. The doc decided that Sarah was the victim of a very nasty tummy bug and thankfully nothing worse like say her appendix so that's a blessing but she's only returning to normal very slowly and feeling pretty washed out which is not surprising as she's had little of real sustinence for several days now. Still we are all on the mend which is the main thing.

Looking forward to the New Year now!

10 comments:

Fiona said...

The red and white blocks look great - I must get round to doing some more but I don't think I'll get nine done!

quiltpixie said...

your blocks turned out lovely. They'll bring a wonderufl smile to someone's face when combined with other donations I'm sure :-) Glad you're all on the mend...

quiltpixie said...

your blocks turned out lovely. They'll bring a wonderufl smile to someone's face when combined with other donations I'm sure :-) Glad you're all on the mend...

ForestJane said...

All the heart blocks look super! I'd be tempted to combine them into a little wall hanging or table topper for Valentine's day. :)

Joyce said...

Love the red and white blocks. If you want to go scrappy and don't like piecing, you might want to try a wonky log cabin. No need to be precise and it looks great when it's done. I've had lots and lots of compliments on mine and it was a blast to work on. No matter what you do it looks good.

Helen in the UK said...

Great blocks and a fabulous cause :)

Anonymous said...

The butterflies made out of hearts is very clever - the red and white combination is looking wonderful :-)

Libby said...

The leukemia blocks look great -- they will be so happy to see them arrive *s*
I am a big fan of scrap quilts. I hope you enjoy making yours. Although I love the look, I had a hard time letting go at first. Now I can pull any fabric and put it next to something else with wild abandon -- very freeing.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Happy New Year Anne! And I love your red blocks!

Clare said...

Dear Anne,

They arrived safe and sound yesterday. Alex thinks they are the best yet.

I am going to start mixing and matching for Sophie's Quilt once we have got on top of things here.

Many many thanks.

x