Friday, April 27, 2007

Happy Birthday To Me!!!!

It's my birthday today - I'm 47 years old and don't feel a day over 97!!!
This picture is the best I can do for baby/childhood photos - these three images were put onto a t-shirt for my 40th. In the centre I was probably about 11 months old - sitting in the coal house with a peg and a pop bottle, the right hand one about 8 years old and the left hand one around 13 or 14 years old - would you allow your daughter out with a hairstyle like that?
My lovely children had, after enormous unveiled hints, visited one of the fabric shops in town and each picked a fabric from the half-price rail to buy half a metre of. Sarah chose the brown after a description from me, Lou went for the red art deco design and Nick plumped for the green one with the wolves on - all fairly predictable in a lovely way. The pins were a useful extra - they know I use them all the time.
But then came the surprise - totally unexpected - a foot spa. I have problems with arthritis in my fingers - probably from too much stitching, not that it will stop me but......... also it seems to be affecting my feet too - this one not from stitching I hasten to add, although the extra weight I lug around obviously doesn't help. So the surprise will be very much appreciated and is a really thoughtful present. I will sit in my conservatory hand stitching away with my feet in some lovely warm scented bubbles. Sarah said as I unwrapped it - "we couldn't afford to send you to a spa so we brought the spa to you" - bless!
My sister had also had her thoughtful head on. She had been surfing around on ebay and purchased a beautiful antique silver thimble for me, still in it's original box.
It is tiny and will only fit on my little finger which leads me to think it was either owned by a very petite lady or possibly a child. On the top it is dented in slightly at one side and has obviously had some usage.
If you look carefully on the box you can see it came from a jewellers in the North East of England which is even more exciting - it may well have belonged to a Durham Quilter making north country quilts with their distinctive patterns. This makes it extra special then.
Oh how I wish it could talk :o)

13 comments:

Fiona said...

Many Happy Returns! I am struck by how much your youngest daughter looks like you in the pictures of when you were younger.

Libby said...

A very Happy Birthday to you! Love each of your gifts - nothing like having a spa of your very own *s* And let me just say that '60 was a great year to have been born.

Doodlebug Gail said...

Happy Birthday Ann! What thoughtful gifts everyone got for you. Have a lovely day and may all your surprises be good ones.

Carole said...

Happy Birthday! I love old thimbles! When ever I pass a thrift shop, I stop to look. I have obtained a few old ones, but not as old as yours! Mine has Salada on it. Must have come from the tea company. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day!

May Britt said...

Happy birthday Anne. You got some wonderful presents. I know you will love your foot spa.

McIrish Annie said...

Happy Happy Birthday from one Annie to another. That foot spa looks great. My dogs are barking for it as I type!!! Here's too many more!!

hortenzita said...

Happy Birthday, Anne!
We have a common day to celebrate, it is also my nameday today.

meggie said...

Happy Birthday to You!!
Wonderful goodies you were given. I wish the thimble could talk, too.

Kim said...

Happy birthday!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Happy Happy Birthday! Glad to see you got some quilty treats and you'll love the foot spa. I've got one and the Body Shop make some lovely foot soaks that you can sprinkle into the water. It will make you and your house smell wonderful. Have a great day!

Tazzie said...

Happy Birthday Anne! I look forward to sharing many more with you!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

KC Quilter said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Anne! The gifts were just PERFECT! And may I say, 47 is very, very young!

Jeanne said...

Happy belated birthday, Anne! Hope you enjoyed a sweet treat in celebration, maybe something chocolate?

Did you feel the earthquake, or are you too far over?

Jeanne