Monday, July 09, 2007

Top together and a very busy week

I have a very busy week up ahead at work this week. A governors meeting to clerk for this evening means I shall be there from about 6.30 til heaven knows when as it's a very long agenda so today's not totally a day off either. This then means I'll spend most of tomorrow morning typing up the minutes as I always do them asap while they're fresh in my mind. Also all the orders for the new school year are being placed at present so I keep having to do one or two of those and the subsequent invoices of course and I've been valiantly trying to do this month's reconciliation for three working days amongst all the interruptions. My finance officer is in on Friday and will expect that done and I have the new school year staff contract paperwork to do before we break up two weeks tomorrow - no pressure then!
I guess my stitching in the evenings will be a welcome 'no-brainer' relief in and amongst all this.
Nick, our middle one, is away overnight tonight for the School Leavers barbecue with the rest of the kids who go to Secondary School this time. Sarah is on work experience at the local Special School for kids with severe learning difficulties this week and next - fortunately it's within walking distance so I don't have to drive her there. DH heads off for Europe tomorrow morning on a whistle stop tour of Northern France, Belgium and Holland until very late Friday night (at least he'll bring back some French goodies though). My brother, his wife and the baby we've not met are coming to stay for a few days from Wednesday or Thursday (he hasn't had the grace to tell me exactly when just yet!) and my two youngest are away at another scout/cub camp from Friday teatime until Sunday which means Nigel won't actually see Nick from this morning until Sunday late afternoon ................. out of breath yet? I certainly am!!!!!
If I'm not a complete gibbering wreck by Sunday it will be a minor miracle!
So as you can imagine I'm really looking forward to getting back to my quilting group this morning to sit and work some more of the applique on the baby quilt in relative peace and quiet! Bliss!!!
On the baby quilt front I managed to get the whole top together last night once I'd appliqued the centre flower - thought it would be easier to do that one on the block on its own - the others will all be round the periphery of the piece so not difficult to manhandle. (The picture's not brilliant it was very bright in the odd spell of sunshine we had amongst the torrential showers yesterday)
The jury is out on an outer cream border with applique - my heart of hearts says it's not complete without but looking at it at this stage as it's already a good size I can see the merits of leaving it as it is and just quilting and binding once the applique's complete - what do you think?
This little pile of treasure is the fabric I bought by weight on our weekend away - lots of lovely bright bits and pieces with many more hidden in and amongst to set my creative juices running for some future projects methinks if I have any brain power left at all by the end of term :o)

17 comments:

Lily Mulholland said...

Anne you are such a prolific crafter - I just don't know how you do it! Your baby quilt is gorgeous and I love the idea of a few butterflies finding their way there...

Boy I hope you make it sane to the end of the week!

Chookyblue...... said...

the baby quilt is looking good.....I enjoyed your pics taken while away...........

Melanie said...

I can just picture a baby cuddled on that baby quilt. Your new "fabric by the pound" has some great choices....

Doodlebug Gail said...

What a sweet, soft and feminine looking quilt - I like your butterflies idea and I'd put a border on it as well. Lucky baby!

Libby said...

The applique border sounds lovely; on the other hand I prefer smaller baby quilts, so I guess it's a toss up. Go with your gut :-)

Joyce said...

The baby quilt is gorgeous. I love the pastel color. A border would be nice but it's also great the way it is.

~Bren~ said...

The baby quilt is wonderful. I looks "complete" the way it is, so either way would be fine. The appliqued flowers make it!

Juliann in WA said...

Enjoy your stitching time. That little bundle of fabric at the bottom looks like it will make into a beautiful little quilt. So bright and cheery.

Finn said...

Hi Anne, the top looks wonderful, a bit pastel for my taste, but gorgeous just the same..*VBS* I do love the bundle of fabrics by weight, what a great way to get more fabric. And the purchases at the shops are lovely. I especially like the solids and strips, altho the Lauren Burch is just great, but soooooo pricey..yikes!!
Take a deep breath, fondle fabric, you'll make it through! Hugs, Finn

meggie said...

That baby quilt is gorgeous.
Loved seeing all the little fabrics there piled up. I must go & rummage amongst mine again!!

Lindah said...

Anne, Anne! How DO you do it all! I am nearly on my back hysteric just reading it all! Wow!

I love your sweet little baby quilt. It looks lovely as it is, or you could just finish it with a narrow white/cream border with no embellishment and call it done.

Really, I want to have your vim when I grow up! (And that's going to have to be SOON since I am quite older.) :-)
Take care!
Lindah

Sarah Nopp said...

I agree! Gibbering wreck is probably the appropriate response to that schedule. But I am sure you will find some reserve and hold on through it all LOL and then be a gibbering wreck :) Make your girlfriends take you out for a night!

Anne Wigfull said...

NAME THAT MILL!! Please? We are off to Sheffield nexst week for ten days and I might/definitely need a break from two small boys.

Unknown said...

I wouldn´t add a a border, just the binding. It is lovely, so soft.

McIrish Annie said...

Love the baby quilt. don't know how you got it finished so fast. the fabric you bought is lovely!!

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

I just love fabric. Your fabric and creations are beautiful!
Ele

Kate North said...

What is it about this time of year that always leaves one completely out of breath? I'm fairly busy normally, but at the moment, it's truly insane. Definitely looking forward to the first week of the hols... oh, and nice quilt, btw :)