Thursday, October 25, 2007

A beautiful city and some Christmas preparations

We had arranged to spend a day during this half term week with my sister's daughter who has just started Uni in the beautiful city of Bath which is roughly an hour and a half from us.


We collected her from the campus at lunchtime which is just next to the American Museum up on Claverton Down on the south side of the city - sadly there was not enough time to take that in as well, but I have been before to look at the beautiful quilts and hope to return another day.


We headed down into the centre of Bath and had a very nice curry for lunch in a well known chain restaurant - impoverished students never pass up the chance of a free lunch :o)


Then it was lovely to have her guide us round the historic city. She has spent quite a lot of time in Bath prior to starting her course as her boyfriend also studies there and her gap year was spent travelling up and down from Yorkshire to Bath to see him.


Here are the crew (minus me of course as I was the one behind the camera) with 'The Rec' in the background. This is home of Gloucester Rugby Club's arch rivals not surprisingly called Bath RFC. Nigel raised more than a few eyebrows with his LOUD shorts - he only wears them to wind the kids up - it never works though as they're all very used to him. The city was full of tourists but not as unbearably busy as it can get in the Summer.


Today has been much more home-based. Sarah has a stack of coursework to do this week. This is mainly because she's been repeatedly putting it off and now the deadlines loom she's having to sit at the dining room table churning out the paperwork - hopefully she'll learn from this and try not to leave everything to the last minute in future. Mind you I do believe I've said this all before so obviously it doesn't necessarily work.


So I've taken the opportunity to get some more Christmas present stitching under my belt.


Here is Niece #2's quillow top almost finished - I just have to applique a blue flower in each of the four corners.


As I was on a machining roll I decided to start Nephew's quillow and here are all the blocks for the centre laid out on the floor ready for assembling.

I guess I'd better get back to it then after all it's two months today to Christmas Day - GULP!

7 comments:

sewkalico said...

Those quillows are coming together nicely! The flower one is lovely, but I know a little boy in our house who would be very impressed with the tractor one!

McIrish Annie said...

Christmas quilting!! I haven't finished my halloween projects yet and you are working on christmas!! You are quite a showoff miss!! LOL

meggie said...

I wish everyone would just stop mentioning the word Christmas. I cant bear to think of it, it makes my head hurt!

Lily Mulholland said...

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Bath - would love to get there one day! And well done on your quillow progress too. Yikes. Less than two months! Fortunately I have a little extra time up my sleeve, as I won't see my family till mid-Jan!

Libby said...

I have to wonder if there is something about museums that make the clock run fast . . . seems like we never have enough time to enjoy everything we would like - no matter how hard we try *s*

Shelina said...

You do fast work. I guess it is time to think about Christmas already. I even heard a Christmas song on the radio this weekend. Both of these projects looks great. I especially like the setting you used for the flower one.

loulee said...

They both look great. I especially love the flowers.