Sunday, October 07, 2007

Some stitching at last

Well in my last night's rugby orientated post (still coming back down from the ceiling!) I did promise you some stitching and here it all is


You might remember that just after we came home from our camping trip to Devon I did a bit of fabric shopping.


The black spotted fabric I bought 3 yards of has kept calling my name from the heap on the sewing room floor that resolutely refuses to tidy itself up.


So Friday teatime I had a little play


Kate's been busy with sawtooth stars and looking at hers was enough to set me off.


I have some lovely little rulers which I use to make the flying geese part of them (only in certain sizes you understand) as my triangles are not good and not worth doing without assistance


Any way this is the germ of a quilt idea - I think lots of random sawtooth stars with the black spotty as both the star and the background interspersed with big spots/circles appliqued in both black spotty on brights and brights on the spotty background. The black spotted fabric has lots of different bright colours in the spots to play with for the contrast.


I have three quillows to make for Nigel's two nieces and nephew for the 'C' word - the spotty stars could be for one of the girls - I have some lovely tractor fabric to use for the boy


Then here is some applique I've been playing with - I got it all ready to take away camping with me thinking darkish fabrics won't show up the dirt then I managed to stitch only one as I stuck my nose in a succession of books throughout the trip


So I picked them up the other Monday to take to my morning group as we only have handstitching facilites.


I've also stitched away between rugby matches over the past week or so - can't actually sew during the match as you miss too much if you look away from the screen


I think these will be the basis for the second girls quillow - not sure what I'll put with them - I have very little yellow in my stash which would have been a good choice to tie in with the flower centres - will have to give this further thought.
I only have fifteen of these flowers as that's all the hand-dyed backing fabric would yield but as quillow quilts tend to be long and narrow I guess five rows of three will probably be fine. I do have plenty of the various plaids to play with - I might even do large QST's in yellow and check between the flower blocks (Oh no more dreaded triangles!!!) - we'll see........


Next job some more spotty stars then or some QSTs.....................

13 comments:

Anne Ida said...

Your blocks looks great! Look forward to se how they end up :o)

Joyce said...

I love that spotty fabric. I have just done a lot of sawtooth stars but the wonky kind so I didn't have to worry about matching. Yours look great.

Juliann in WA said...

Those applique blocks are darling. They will make a great quillow for a girl.

Fiona said...

Can't wait to see the progress with the sawtooth stars, they look really vibrant.

kcdi said...

I'm so excited to see what you do with both the stars and the flowers! You have such a great vision that I can only imagine how great these quillows will end up!

Andrea said...

Lovely blocks ! Especially the appliqued flowers. Patrick is nagging me to make a quillow so any ideas or directions will be wonderful as I've never actually made one.

meggie said...

I just love seeing all your ideas coming to life!
Very nice stars!

sewkalico said...

Both are going to be great. You know me, I love stars (and spots!). I think the appliques are too cute. I can't believe you are almost sorted for the "C"-word already!!!!

loulee said...

Wow! The stars are colourful, and the flowers are pretty. Very girly.

Lily Mulholland said...

Okay I'm slow. Took me a few seconds to work out the 'c-word'.

I like your spotty stars :)

Libby said...

Those stars look like a lot of fun . . . can't wait to see what they become *s*

Cher said...

good for you to be planning/working towards that C occasion. :-) nice looking blocks-all of them! By the way I made your pork recipe and it was a big hit. It's nice to not only pick up quilting inspiration but recipes too from a fellow blogger!

atet said...

Those sawtooth stars are lovely and so are the appliques. I love the setting you're using for them as well!