Monday, October 08, 2007

Quarter square triangles it is then....

I went into town this morning on my day off and before my quilting group I managed to run a few errands for the household as well as doing the school bank run.

A book for Louise - she wants to read the next one in the series of Alex Rider books - I know we had a copy at one point but have a sneaking suspicion it's in an unpacked box somewhere so I popped into the book shop in town to buy another copy. They were having a buy one, get one halfprice deal on the childrens books so I asked the shop assistant to make a suggestion for me as I can never remember which titles we have by which authors. Then a paperback for me just happened to pop into my shopping basket too - not a cheap trip to the bookshop then.

I had to buy a birthday card for my quilting student, Sarah's best friend Megan who will be sweet sixteen tomorrow. Sarah is always slightly miffed that virtually all of her friends have their birthdays before her in the school year.

Finally I dropped into the fabric shop in town and purchased this length of sweet lemon gingham with little embroidered pink and blue hearts to go with the applique flower blocks - I have precious little yellow in my stash so this will be a welcome addition

Once I came home - via the supermarket, why do my family insist on eating me out of house and home I wonder - I thought I'd have a little potter with the yellow material. I wasn't sure just how the embroidery would play with quarter inch seams but it behaved beautifully.

Here's the first two QST blocks amongst three flower blocks trimmed to size. I shall use all of the plaids and mix them round but this gives you an idea to start with.

Last night I made up a 12" sawtooth star block - this will be the largest I'll make for the spotty star quilt - I'm sure once I crack on with these two quillows they'll make up pretty quickly indeed.

Finally here's a little chap that has started to visit us on a regular basis. His name is Tazz, he's a beautiful dove grey and white colouring and he belongs to our next-door neighbour. However as they now have an almost three year old and a one year old who really can't quite interpret gentle yet he's taken to seeking out Louise's and sometimes Sarah's company. They thinks it's wonderful and we don't mind acting as a quiet refuge for him when the toddlers get too much - even Nigel's taken to giving him the odd scratch behind the ear now and again.

16 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I know Tazz is as happy to have refuge with you as you are to offer it! (He's gorgeous!) The embroidered fabric is charming. I just hate it when books jump in my shopping basket, it happens here, too!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a cute cat...and it bit like nieces and nephews in that you can send it home when you've had enough! :o)

Doodlebug Gail said...

You do such lovely work Anne! I am watching your spotty stars - I love the brights. What a pretty cat Tazz is.

kcdi said...

Those flower blocks look like pieces of candy with those QSTs, too precious!

Libby said...

We inherited a kitty 'Ollie' once in just the same way *s*

meggie said...

Taxx is a lucky boy to have a refuge. I do think very young children can be too hard on little helpless pets.
Your lemon fabric is lovely, & looks so nice with those flowers.

loulee said...

Your yellow gingham fits in beautifully, I like your flowers even more today!
Taz looks like one contented puss sat there, beautiful too.

Tanya said...

You have so many projects going at the same time! You are amazing! How do you ever keep them straight in your head?

So nice you have a "step-cat". Isn't it interesting how cats can grab your heart even when you don't want them to and hadn't planned on sharing it with them?

YankeeQuilter said...

Tazz is smart cat...finding refuge from the toddlers! The yellow looks very cheerful!

Lily Mulholland said...

I think our cat sometimes wishes he had a refuge :)

Love the plaids with the QSTs and the flowers Anne :)

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Hi, I was sewing with a friend yesterday and she was mastering the saw tooth star via the Internet and hers looked a lot like yours!!! Small world!
I like the gingham, short on yellows in my stash as well, it came up very nicely after your play as well! Tracey

Holly said...

Ah, a home away from home for Tazz. He knows where to find some peace and quiet :)

Andrea said...

The quarter square triangles look great with the flower blocks. I can't seem to get hold of any yellow fabric. Must be a shortage -lol ! Lovely cat - looks very like my Kasper. Crafty too - finding somewhere for a bit of peace and quiet !

Kairle Oaks said...

Our cat, Shadow, first stated visiting at our back door, but eventually came to live with us full-time. I'm sure Tazz is glad to have some who will love him without tearing out his fur. lol!

Knot Garden said...

The yellow gingham worked beautifully with the other fabrics. Your work is gorgeous. Cute cat!

corry said...

I love the yellow gingham, it works well with the blue and colored gingham! Beautiful flower blocks...your work is so pretty!