Monday, January 14, 2013

So here's the first.........

.................... finish of 2013


I've often admired other peoples work when they've combined patchwork cottons and linen

So when I found a pair of  charity shop beige linen trousers I thought I'd have a bit of a play

My 'new to me' ebay bought coffee table was crying out for a new table runner

I'd seen a lovely quilt somewhere on the net using rectangles along the border and I thought the design would look just great in turquoises against the beige linen

 

Once I'd pieced the top I thought I'd really like to do some of the modern trendy parallel line quilting I keep seeing on a lot of these linen/cotton pieces.

But then I chickened out and went for allover swirls instead with a turquoise border to finish the job 



A perfect opportunity to bring out the two pieces of 'Leeds Ware' pierced cream pottery I picked up in a charity shop in Leek, Staffordshire last summer on holiday


And here we are the finished object in situ


Mind you I can't say I really enjoyed stitching the linen - it might be a while before I bother with that again


So onto another new project for 2013 - a little brown and sand take on something Kate's been working on lately

Watch this space .............................

8 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

Lovely runner! I like the swirly design too. onto to project #2 of 2013!

Kate North said...

This is a lovely piece. I might have to borrow this idea. :)

Libby said...

Perfect! I love the swirls - they are just right.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a beautiful table runner! I love the swirls.

I haven't tried working with linen before..perhaps not all that it is cracked up to be.

Look forward to seeing what you are working on next...looks interesting.

Plum Cox said...

Lovely runner - fab quilting! I've found linen quite baggy compared to cotton whenever I've used it - but it does just suit some projects, doesn't it?

AnnieO said...

I think the swirls are the perfect complement to the straight lines of the rectangles. It looks lovely!

sewkalico said...

What a lovely runner!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.