Saturday, May 20, 2006

Hexagon Inspirations



I've been working since last Christmas on a hand stitched sofa throw for my lounge in sand and cream and turquoise in 2inch hexagons - it's a definite pattern and I'm probably 80 - 85% of the way there completing the top - I'm not going to post a picture until the top is completed.

However I'd not done any hexagon work before this since I made a charm top (still to be quilted) when I first got seriously into quilting about 9 years ago. Before that I made bits and bobs in my teens back in the 70's. Most of the time my patchwork and quilting is machine piecing and hand applique but it is lovely to have some hand work for sitting doing when watching the TV in the evening.

The photo I've posted here is the roof of a church I spied up near the castle during a kid free weekend to Budapest in Hungary last October (thanks mum and dad for kid sitting and allowing us to go) The tiles look as though they are ceramic glazed and the colours are very true to life in the photo

It just shouted english paper piecing to me and as my big project is drawing to a close the seed of an idea for a small wallhanging using this pattern is germinating. I think I shall use tiny hexagons possibly only 3/4 inch across and moderate the colours too

Watch this space!

No comments: