Monday, May 15, 2006

My biggest quilt


These two pictures show the quilt I made for my brother and sister-in-law for their wedding present in October 2004. It measures 108" square and was machine pieced in space dyed cotton (some dyed by me and some bought in) with yards and yards of cream coloured home made bias celtic knotwork. It took three years to make in all and I worked on it in three different countries. In the middle of its construction I had a serious illness which kept me off work for over five months and working on the coloured square blocks around the edges kept me sane - not to mention that, without that gift of time to work on it when I was fit for nothing else, I probably wouldn't have completed it on time. The celtic knotwork is all hand appliqued and I wouldn't mind having a pound for each inch of it - I'd be one very rich girl! The photos are taken in our local church as I didn't have a large enough floor area to lay it out otherwise. Once I'd completed it I felt that strange feeling you have when your baby is born that you're not pregnant any more - a real anti-climax.

2 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

That is a truely gorgeous quilt! The colors are beautiful and the knotwork breathtaking!
Siobhan

Marlublu said...

That quilt is amazing. It looks so beautiful and complicated. You are really a master at applique.