Friday, July 21, 2006

'The Brute' is quilted - Yippeeeeee!!!

YES!!!

The quilting is finally finished and has taken me about a fortnight.

DH has spent the best part of that time harrumphing around the house as everytime he's turned round all he can see of me is my back bent over the sewing machine and not a lot else has got done - well not by me anyway! His first retort when I shouted with joy that it was completed was 'Humph - we might get something done around the house now' - He won't be saying that when we're all cosy and warm in bed in the winter will he?

A huge relief now it's done - yes I know I still have to label and bind it and add a hanging sleeve but the main part of the donkey work is completed and I'm very happy with it.

The sewing machine stood up not too badly - especially after I gave it a jolly good clean and an oiling after it bit my finger in retaliation for ill-treating it (I have to confess I do forget to spring clean it and oil it - which is very cruel of me as it does do a huge amount of work - Naughty, Naughty Mummy!) Little wonder it bit back then is it really?

The finger is coming along nicely - in the interests of your stomachs I shan't post a picture of that - needless to say I think I will have a permanent reminder on the side of my fingerprint - good job I've no intention of robbing any banks :o)

The children (and I) break up for the summer holidays of six weeks next Tuesday. It can't come soon enough although I shall be a little sad as that will be the end of my placement at my present school - I've enjoyed it there very much and still wish there was a permanent job going right now, but I do have my new job to look forward to in September and luckily the office staff don't have to work teacher training days (of which 1st September is one) so I don't go in until the 4th which is the same day my two youngest go back so no childcare problems to overcome there :o)

Wednesday will see my car go in for a service and some welcome if expensive work on the air-con system which needs the gas recharging. The weather here in the UK has been in the mid 30's centigrade with high humidity which is very hot for us. This coupled with the fact I have to park in full sunlight at school has made each day's 20 minute journey home very sticky indeed. I've had to resort to Plan B on the air-con front - driving along with both windows fully open, travelling at about 60mph which does little to improve the old hair-do! I look like Medusa by the time I get in the house :o) But it's just had to be because I've not been able to allocate a full day where I didn't need the car for something so that's the first time it could go to the garage.

Of course you can bet your bottom dollar that the weather will change to cool and wet in response to the mended air-con and the kids off school - hey-ho, why should this year be any different from any other. Still not having to chase everyone out of the house with the correct luggage each morning will be reward enough :o)

19 comments:

Helen in the UK said...

Huge congrats Anne on finishing 'the brute'. You'll have to rename it now to something far more flattering as it has turned out beautifully. The quilting looks lovely and quite intricate. Enjoy when the weather cools down :)

Joyce said...

I am VERY impressed that you did that complex quilting on a regular machine. I only ever do stitch in the ditch or stipple with mine. It is a beautiful quilt.

Shelina said...

Helen is right, your brute needs a better name. I too am impressed with your quilting.

Pam said...

The quilting on "the brute" looks absolutely wonderful. Great Job. And to have done it in two weeks -- gosh it would have taken me 2 years. Congratulations!!
Pam

Linda C said...

Happy dancing for you, Anne! It looks fantastic. Hubby should get used to having a creative wife and knock off the grumbling--or help pick up the slack?

quiltpixie said...

what a wonderful quilting pattern you did on that quilt. It really has turned out wonderfully. :-0

Doodlebug Gail said...

Congratulations Anne! Your quiltings is fabulous - thanks for the great photo's. Perhaps you've mentioned this somewhere in a previous post ..... what are the finished measurements? It's been hot here on this side of the pond as well - I hate the humidity - thank goodness for central air. Hope it cools down soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I really like the wildly flying geese, they are very creative. Beautiful quilting well done.

kcdi said...

It looks amazing! You did a brilliant job! I'm very happy for you!

Jennifer said...

This quilt is gorgeous! It definitely showcases your love of applique. (I love the "A" word, too LOL!)

Fiona said...

Brilliant - and in this heat, too. Makes me feel exhausted just thinking about it. The result is well worth all that effort (and industrial injury)though.
P.S. Didn't spot any fabric shops in Prague

Judy said...

Happy Dance, Happy Dance!! Congrats on the completion of the quilting "brute" I love the design and might have to steal your sunflowers!! The leaves are perfect for this sort of work too.

Hubby will soon get over his neglect..poor baby. Glad you are looking forward to the summer vacation witht eh kids. Ours have been out since mid June and head back Sept. 4th or so.

Unknown said...

Hi Anne
I haven't been by your blog in a while...your quilt is just beautiful! Congrats of getting it done! And your #3 "monster" is a cutie!

ForestJane said...

Maybe call it the 'Beaut' rather than the Brute now? It looks super. :)

Tonya Ricucci said...

You've done such a great quilting job - all your hard work was well worth it.

Susan said...

Beautiful quilt. I am in awe of anyone who can quilt something that large on a little sewing machine! Men are just grumps. =)

Finn said...

The quilt looks fantastic Anne, I love it. Great job on all of it...*VBS* And getting the machine cleaned?? You are on a roll for sure. Have a great vacation..*S*

The Calico Cat said...

YAY! Great job on getting quilt quilted - so quickly no less!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Anne! Your Brut turned out so lovely! And you did another excellent job quilting it! WOW! I still can't believe how perfect the petals to your flowers and leaves are! Wonderful! boy have I missed out not visiting!