Thursday, July 06, 2006

Ok - you've persuaded me - here's the hexagon sofa throw



Okay - Maureen's comment on the last post persuaded me - here is my hexagon sofa throw I mentioned stitching some of last night.

I started this between Christmas and New Year last December 2005. The hexagons are all 1.5inches point to point.

My lounge is decorated in aqua, cream and sand - hence the colour scheme - although it'll have to be washable to cope in those colours.

As you can see from the bottom left hand corner I have just a few beige pieces to put in. Then I shall do a turquoise round in the same as the outermost hexagon in the centre and fill in all the half pieces in that same fabric to make the edges even.

As it's all handstitched over papers it will have to be very heavily quilted so there's no strain whatsoever on those seams - this won't be a problem - yet again I'll just stitch at random all over as the fancy takes me but with the stitching no more than half to one inch apart at any point. Then I'll probably bind it in cream - we'll see.

I'd like to get this one finished for our quilt show also at the beginning of August but it depends on how quickly I can finish the piecing in and amongst everything else :o)

It's actually pleasantly surprised me looking at it in a photo - you spend so long at very close quarters to things when you're working on them that you don't get the overall effect. I really like it and will be quite sad once it's finished.

11 comments:

Helen in the UK said...

I love this quilt - and I'm not normally a fan of hexagon quilts (although I admire the workmanship). I think it must be the colours you've used. You are setting yourself quite a tight deadline to finish ... fingers crossed :)

Linda C said...

Anne, your quilt is absolutely stunning! The colors, the hexagon arrangement. WOW!

Doodlebug Gail said...

WOW - that is absolutely amazing! Do you know how many hexagons are in the quilt and do you know how many you'll have when it's complete? It has become a part of you if you're going to be sad when it's all finished. You do beautiful work - keep it up.

Simonetta said...

A fantastic work, Anne!!!! Very well :))))

Kim West said...

absolutely stunning. i would never have the patience to do something like that!!

quiltpixie said...

It is wonderful -- one has a real sense of the little hexagon ceramic tiles on a floor or other mosaic area...

ForestJane said...

That's beautiful!

Do you leave the papers in or take them out when you get finished attaching them to the ones around it?

Fiona said...

Oh my goodness - fantastic - where do you get the patience from?

kcdi said...

Truly gorgeous! Your work is so very impressive!
Kimberly

Tracey said...

Anne, it is BEAUTIFUL!! I may have missed this, but how long have you been working on it? It would take me YEARS to get that far! :oP

The Calico Cat said...

I LOVE that quilt.