Sunday, July 02, 2006
The last two months - more applique :o)
The dreaded 'P' word reared it's head for September - the challenge organiser knew that we were scheduled to move house on the 16th so she let me have the instructions very early to hopefully get it finished well before. 'Half Square Triangles' are not my favourite - we're back to the spectre of getting them calculated to fit along the receiving side - so I deliberately left a gap in the middle and filled that with background. This was fine but looked a bit bare - so as you can imagine I didn't need much persuading to add even more applique - this time smaller dots like the berries on the proper applique round.
The final round was October and because I'd finished the September round in double quick time - even before the end of August I think the organiser again very kindly offered me the opportunity to work on this one before the due month - the challenge this time was 'Friendship Stars'.
As my work was by now of gargantuan proportions the thought of piecing all those stars really didn't appeal - so I put one in each corner and a contrasting smaller one half way down each side and filled in between with some flower swags. These were done with bias tubing for the stalks and then heart shaped leaves with three layered flowers at intervals and pink spots again for the berries.
I have to confess I didn't get these completed anywhere near the end of October - I think I had them done before Christmas if I remember rightly so the Ostrich was completed in 2005. Most of it was stitched in Gloucester, some of the applique on holiday in the Pembrokeshire part of South Wales and finally the last round was completed in our new home here in Somerset
Hopefully this afternoon I shall try to sandwich it so that I can get on with the quilting and be able to put it both into our show and of course onto our bed - just have to decorate the bedroom to match then :o(