Friday, June 02, 2006

Venetian Inspiration




Well can't you just tell I'm on half term break this week. Having the time to skip around a few blogs looking for inspiration and just having a good old nosey I spotted some patchwork houses on Sewcatherine's blog.

This made me think of these photos I took in Venice. They are of the end of St Mark's Basilica where it butts up to the Doge's Palace and they're made up of dozens of different marbles all cut to show the beautiful graining.

Early patchworkers at work I think :o)

We had to queue for entry to the Basilica for about half an hour so it gave me lots of opportunity to view them at my leisure

7 comments:

Fiona said...

Hi Anne, Lovely photos - love those subtle colours - did you ever make anything inspired by St.Marks?

Unknown said...

not yet - on my list of 'to do' things - particularly loved the floor mosaics which you're not allowed to photograph but brought lots of postcards home for reference

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh these are wonderful photo's! I can't even imagine being able to see something so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Pam said...

England (and Europe) is so wonderful - full of such old architecture and you are so lucky to live in the midst of such history. I'm sure there is quilting inspiration all around you!

In Vancouver they tore down the old Empire Stadium - because it was built in 1953!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

oooh, beautiful

The Lone Beader® said...

Cheers! I just sort of stumbled upon your blog. I love your photos!! I, too, love to look at the old architecture. Thanks for sharing:)

Joyce said...

The colors are so amazing. Soft and beautiful. Here in Canada nothing is very old so we tend to really appreciate any ancient buildings like you have been posting. Thanks.