Friday, May 25, 2007

Busy day today!

A busy day in store for us all today....

The Headteacher and my colleague Trish are both out on a course all day so I'm manning the office on my own from 8.45 to 3 instead of my usual 9.30 to 1.30

Nigel spent all yesterday evening organising the two youngest getting their kit ready for a three night scout/cub camp from tonight with ... wait for it ... 1800 other marauding youngsters!

I'm just not even thinking about the prospect of them getting lost etc - please God keep them safe. I don't doubt the leaders and organisers will have it all really well organised (fingers crossed)

It's all in aid of celebrating 100 years of Scouting all around the world - this linked article is from South Africa for example

I know one thing for sure it should be lovely and quiet here at home with just Sarah 'til 3pm Monday afternoon (we have a Bank Holiday on Monday)

We have to get them to the site about 30 minutes from here by 6pm tonight - can you imagine the organisation needed to get all those kids there at the same time?

Nigel's the 'retired' scout (of long standing) in the house - so I'm afraid I fully delegate all responsibilty for getting kit together to his superior knowledge and experience. Can't you see my shoulders sloping as we speak? Well I do do lots of other stuff for them - honest!

As for stitching - in and amongst the frenzy of packing last night I did get my hand dyed confetti top sandwiched and started the quilting

Don't look too close at the 'in the ditch' around the confetti triangles it is a bit wobbly in places. Plus I'm using a variegated thread with some bright yellow in the colour changes which is showing the odd black dot (or seven!) from the under thread - I'm not pulling it back though - I shall live with that! So there!

It'll be okay - I won't be entering it into any competitions and I don't allow the quilt police through the front door :o)

15 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

The quilting looks wonderful to me! I love the way the little quilted triangles dance among the swirling stitches, echoing the motif. I'm sure the scouting expedition will be fine regardless of who does the packing... it's good for them once and a while to rely on themselves anyway... you should not feel guilty!

Lily Mulholland said...

I'm a former Girl Guide and Venturer and those camps were always such good fun Anne! I am sure they'll all be fine. And enjoy the quiet in the meantime!

Love the quilting you're doing on the confetti quilt. And good for you not aching for perfection!

YankeeQuilter said...

I like how your quilting is mimicing the confettie triangle.

Hope he has a great time at camp...I don't envy the organizers!

Juliann in WA said...

Hope the scouting event is fun for all. And you confetti quilt is looking fantastic. Love the little triangles you are doing with the meandering. Brilliant!

Locket Pocket said...

thanks for the lovely comment you left on my blog - I can't believe those beautiful colours in your quilt are hand dyed - congratulations!

meggie said...

Love your confetti quilt! Any quilting looks good to me! LOL.
I am sure you children will enjoy themselves, but being a mother it is useless to say, 'Dont Worry!'

Tanya said...

Your hand dyed quilt is very, very pretty! You're doing the quilting on a home machine right? It looks great! I've got to get back to machine quilting before I forget what techniques I learned! Enjoy your time with Sarah

Linda C said...

1800 kids---oh, my! It should be fairly quiet about the house for you to get some more stitching done? Looking good so far.

Carol E. said...

Oh, some quiet time while the scouts are away! How heavenly. I love the quilting on your beautiful confetti quilt. Didn't you know that the quilt police have all retired? They heard that the world is filling with Mavericks and there are no more rules, therefore no more rule breakers.

Kim said...

I find that those little places where the bobbin thread shows through on top seem to adjust themselves the first time the quilt is washed, so don't worry about it! Lovely colors! Enjoy your quiet weekend!

Faith said...

ooooh I love the quilting project here oh the tie-dyed fabrics yum yum...
I used to be a dib dib....brownie and a girlguide Im sure all will be fine and having fun fun fun...

Libby said...

The Quilt Police are NEVER allowed in my house - they are just too mean *s*

Finn said...

Hi Anne, the quilting looks awesome to me..*VBS* And I love the fancy stuff on your tulip table runner...great little bee and caterpillar...very creative.

I do like your dancing confetti..saw something similar in a Aussy Patchwork book once..really like it!.
Have to say what a lovely pic of you and Dad with Sarah, you look so very comfortable and like you'd be lots of fun to be with...*VBS*
Congratulations on a job well done! Hugs, Finn

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Love those colours...and I have also never seen any rugby players look as good as last post (nice looking boy as well!) Tracey

Knot Garden said...

The quilting looks great - I wouldn't be able to do that without a line to follow. I like the effect of the variegated thread.