Sunday, May 20, 2007

Just the binding to do then

Isn't it wonderful when something captures your quilting imagination and keeps hold of it until the end of the job.

Thats how I feel about this little log cabin piece.

Friday night I sandwiched and quilted it continuing the leaves theme.

I'm pretty confident with free-motion quilting - it's just like drawing with the needle as the pencil and moving the 'paper/fabric' instead of the 'pencil/needle'.

However following lines is a whole different ball game to me - one I certainly need lots of practice at.

I was always under the impression it was best to do 'in the ditch' straight lines with a walking foot and had never had particularly satisfactory results. However last summer I had a conversation with a very accomplished machine quilter who told me she does all her quilting whether free-form or in-the-ditch with a darning foot and using her hands to guide everything as you would with any normal free-form work.

I tried this around the stars on Spencer's Stars with mixed results - most of it was okish but I did wander off my lines now and then.

However on this log cabin I could tangibly feel the improvement on each of the four log corners and by the end wasn't wandering too badly at all.

Now I just have to bind it, adding in a hanging sleeve, and I think this one might come to work with me for my notice board above my brand new desk to remind me now and then why exactly I do actually go to work.

The old adage rings true again - 'Practice makes perfect!' - mine may not be perfect but we're getting there slowly!

17 comments:

Melanie said...

Congrats on the completion-- I love your idea of posting a piece at work to remind you of why your there....I've got to figure out a way to do that...

Fiona said...

Must have been nice to just quilt a small piece - large quilts do tend to get a bit much after a while.

CONNIE W said...

It looks great. I like doing leaves on the longarm but hate SID, it's not easy to do for me. So I avoid it as much as possible.

Cathi said...

It is gorgeous. I hope my free motion quilting gets as good as yours someday!

Doodlebug Gail said...

Now that is lovely - how big is it Anne? What a nice addition to your work space at your "real work". Your machine quilting is great - I find it easier to follow a line and always worry when I go off the lines .... but you know, once the lines have disappeared and there's just quilting left it always looks nice. Great job!

Juliann in WA said...

That was fast work on this little quilt. And a great piece to practice your machine quilting.

MARCIE said...

That little LC turned out darling! The applique is very nice, as is your quilting! I lvoe little projects.

May Britt said...

Beautiful. You did some great quilting on it. I have to practise more on my freehandquilting. I am still a handquilting girl :)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

It looks amazing! Well done Anne

sewkalico said...

Boy, you sure made short work of this little Log Cabin! It looks lovely and will no doubt cheer you up while you're at your 'other' job.

Patti said...

Wow Anne - you've been very chatty while I've been trying to catch up on blogs. i'm in the Q's now, and Bloglines says you've posted 27 times since I last read your blog around the beginning of May. Love this little quilt that you've just finished - the applique and the quilting compliment the log cabin blocks perfectly! i'm now reading backwords to see all the things you've been up to.

ForestJane said...

Very nice! Do you have a place in your house where it's going to go? Wall or table cover?

Tanya said...

Oh it is so beautiful! I want one just like it! I'm storing your picture in a file so that someday...I hope I can get proficient enough to quilt like this someday.

meggie said...

It looks fabulous. I love the whole thing, design, colours, & the quilting.

Tracey in CT said...

It looks very nice, you did a great job on the quilting...I like the leaves in teh border.

tami said...

Very nice piece. I think the quilting looks great. Much nicer than mine.

atet said...

Oh, it looks absolutely lovely. As for in the ditch quilting -- I think I'm starting to believe that it should only be done with hand quilting. Although, the idea of doing it free motion is one I hadn't even considered. Thanks for the tip, and for sharing this adorable little quilt.