Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Waste not, want not

When I was piecing the wonky 'piano key' borders for my confetti quilt this afternoon I deliberately made them oversized so I was sure I could easily cut 4.5" borders from them.

This then left me with four striped strips about 1.5" - 2" wide.

I straightened them off as wide as the fabric would allow and thought 'I'll put those in my scrap drawer for future playtimes.

Then once I'd finished the confetti top I rediscovered them, still on the dining room table, and so set to and made this.The 'black' for the sashing is slightly different from the one used in the confetti quilt - it's black overdye on a terracotta where as the other one was black overdye on the lilac. I saved the rest of the black/lilac for the confetti binding as I didn't have enough for both.

The whole thing measures about 13.5" x 20.5" - maybe this will be the wallhanging to go in my newly arranged office as the confetti one, at 24" square, may be a bit big and not leave me sufficient room for boring things like sheets of paper. I'm even entertaining the MAD idea of putting multi coloured prairie points all round this!!! Talk about a cross between a stained glass window a la Frank Lloyd Wright and Joseph's Coat of Many Colours.

Plus it adds two more things to the 'To Be Sandwiched' pile - I can't keep putting them all off for ever :o)

10 comments:

Hedgehog said...

Love it! Still eyeing that confetti quilt for a new project - as if I need another one!

Joyce said...

It's looking beautiful. I think prairie points all aronud it would look wonderful.

Quilter Kathy said...

Great job on both of these pieces!

Doodlebug Gail said...

OMG - you sure are getting stuff done. Good for you!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

That confetti looks great and to get a 'stained glass piano' is a real bonus, Tracey

McIrish Annie said...

oH, MY, you are killing me with all these beautiful projects! good idea to use them up right off. If you had put them in a drawer, who knows how long they would have stayed there??

I absolutely love this!!

meggie said...

What a great idea! Love it, & agree, priarie points would be sensational.

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

Wonderful!

Lynn Dykstra said...

This quilt is wonderful, stands alone, not as a leftover quilt!
The black is used very well.

Shelina said...

This is beautiful. What a great way to use up your scraps!