Monday, May 21, 2007

New treasure today!

I've had a bit of a day for uncovering treasure. When in town this morning I called in at a couple of charity shops and made some lovely discoveries


Some lovely florals - the dark blue background is a ladies dress and has copious amounts of fabric in a full skirt


Some very feminine stripes and checks


And another batch of checks - the lilac in the front right hand corner is a pair of ladies pyjamas so again quite a bit of fabric in those legs - there'd be even more if they were my size, but hey you can't be greedy :o)


Then when I got back home a parcel on my doorstep contained these three complimentary books for making feathered stars - I'd bought them second hand from a lady on one of the online quilting yahoo groups I belong to. I've long been in awe of the feathered stars that Dawn makes (along with others of you that I can't remember at present) and these books might just spur me on to have a go at one.


On a slightly different note you might remember the stitching day we held on World Quilting Day to make children's quilts for our local Women's Refuge.


Prior to that I showed you a blue stripey quilt top which I'd stitched lots of bright stars onto.


It was taken by another Anne in the group to be completed at home and here it is


I think she's made a lovely job of it and it goes to join the other 35 we've made as a group so far, with more in the pipeline. It should really help to brighten up some small person's life a little I hope.

The sun's shining beautifully here in Taunton this morning, hope it is with you too!

11 comments:

Lily Mulholland said...

My goodness Anne! You have been a busy little blogger! Where on earth do you find the time to a) be a mother to your three kids, b) hold down a job, c) be the photographer, d) do so much quilting, e)cook, clean and do all those other things, f) take kids to sports events, g) every other thing you seem to do so well?

Carl and I would love to live in a converted country church one day :)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

That quilt will undoubtedly bring much joy, it's happy and joyful to behold. You started that ball rolling in just the right direction! Your fabric finds are full of great possibility (as well as yardage!) for future great quilts, too.

Doodlebug Gail said...

What a nice haul - especially the plaid shirts, you must have quite a collection.

Hedgehog said...

Love your charity shop finds! I really need to start 'collecting' some fabrics for a special project that way.

Nice and sunny here today, too. Enjoy!

Melanie said...

I love your fabric finds... The dark navy one is my favorite... Have fun reading.

Libby said...

Love those plaids *s* Enjoy your feathered star books - reading blogs got me to give them a try, too. They are pretty darned fun.

atet said...

Oooh, lovely finds at the charity shops! Love those colors!

That little quilt will make some little person just feel like a "star"! Congrats on the finish!

Unknown said...

I envy your books! I have always wanted to make a feathered star but haven´t tried yet. Don´t forget to report! I wish we had so many charity shops here as you have in GB. Your finds are very nice. Take care.

Patti said...

These are the best books ever for learning to make feathered stars. They are the ones I started with. Her directions are so complete and go step by step in such a logical manner. And the diagrams are a great help. Start by choosing one based on a LeMoyne Star - that way all the little triangle feathers will be the same size. Can't wait to see what you create from these!

Clare said...

The blue is very Impressionist-ish. I've loved the Star Quilt since the first time you showed it. 31° today and the temperature is climbing!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I am SOOO jealous! I wanted those books for so long. The green one is out of print and selling for a futune used on amazon and ebay! Treasure them! Even if you just like looking at the pics!