Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Something a little more traditional

I am such a butterfly flitting from one thing to another - only occasionally finishing anything!

First of all let me apologise for using this picture and not crediting the source. If it's yours I'm sorry for not giving named credit where it's due - please accept imitation as the sincerest form of flattery.


On both of our computers I have a file of pictures that I've collected from all different sources to use as personal inspiration for my stitching. I'll often save an image from someone's blog or something I see on a website purely for personal use but don't give it a meaningful label.

This is one of those photos and judging by the fact it's on the older of the two computers I might have saved it well over a year ago.


Nigel was away in Spain again on Wednesday night and, as Sarah's rugby training has broken for the summer, once I'd got the three children in from school and fed them the night was free from taxi duties.


Just the opportunity to play.


The plaids I'd bought in the form of all those charity shop men's shirts were calling my name so I set to and tried to make something similar to the above.

Here is my effort. Some of the plaids are from the shirts, some are from yardage in my stash and yes, for those of you sensitive to wobbly checks, all of them could be offensively crooked so if that applies to you don't look too closely I wouldn't want to be accused of causing undue suffering :o)


However I've really enjoyed playing with something a little more traditional and will probably applique/embroider some leaves in the centre along the lines of the inspirational quilt I saved the picture of up above. Overall my own effort measures about 17.5" square - the logs are 3/4" wide.


Oddly enough in all the years I've been stitching this is the very first time I've made log cabin blocks - can you believe that?

8 comments:

atet said...

It looks wonderful! I love the checks. I've been playing with some log cabin variations -- but, have never made a traditional log cabin block. Someday I will sit down and attempt all of the "traditional" blocks I love -- someday.

Melanie said...

I love this small piece. Log cabins are fun...

Hedgehog said...

Just love your first! log cabin blocks. It's really my favorite old standby. I like the idea of combining it with a little applique. I think it's time for me to try some applique soon - this might be the way!

Clare said...

I love the whites and the plaids/checks. Have you seen Tonya's mini log cabin? Once I get myself sorted and a few quilts finished I'm going to give that a go with my boxes and boxes of crumbs. Have a good weekend (Pont d'Ascension here this weekend - France is en fete the whole weekend). Last BH a week Monday and then we can get back to normal. May is an odd month.

Libby said...

Log cabins are such fun - and plaid log cabins even 'funner' - but crooked plaids in log cabins are the best. Looks great.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I LOVE it with the plaids! I really like yours!

Elaine Adair said...

Those shirt plaids a just wonderful. And ... I have 15 plaid shirts I bought a year ago for $7.50 (!!! can you believe that?) just waiting for a perfect pattern. Thanks for the inspiration - maybe I can get going on this great idea. It's beautiful, and the idea of applique bams it up a notch!

Donna said...

I too collect web shots as a new kind of design book. I never kept attributions in my other design books, so don't with web shots either. But like you I often wonder about showing them, as I fear stepping on others toes. I'm glad you shared yours though. Thanks!