Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Four Seasons and not a sign of Vivaldi or Frankie Valli!

Just to say before I start today's random waffling that I will not be doing the draw for the purple bag until Friday night so if anyone still wants to put their comment in you can do so until then.

I will then enlist the help of the three 'musketeers/wise monkeys/ little pigs/ errant children' (you take your pick and delete the least applicable - no only kidding!) to carry out the draw so I can try and get it arranged to take to the Post Office on my day off next Monday

After showing you my 'four seasons' blocks so far and then completing my winter block I decided it was time to take up that gauntlet (or should that read Sword of Damacles) - the Sashing Challenge!!!


Right from the start, as there were to be four seasons meaning four sets of four blocks, I had the germ of an idea about arranging the quilt in quadrants - one for each season.


So I then decided I wanted each quarter of the quilt to have its own identity - hence four different sets of sashings and corner stones

But to try and give it a little bit of uniformity I decided that I'd like all the corner stones to be green, but a different shade of green in each quadrant - each being most suitable to its own season.


Winter was the trickiest - my initial thought was a dark christmas/fir tree green but it just didn't work with the other three paler ones - so in the end looking at the reverse side of the greens in my stash I came across a green that reminded me of a pale dusting of snow or ice on grass and so went with the one in the picture

Then having so many different fabrics in each quarter I decided on the unifying theme of checks for each set of sashings


Once I have all the blocks in I'll put it all together and then put a 2" border round in 4 seasonal colours - one to each corner, but repeating the same green corner stones


Finally I think a 4" border with four separate darker/stronger fabrics again with matching green corner stones and I intend to applique the four corresponding words 'Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter' on the relevant border sections using each of the central sashing check fabric possibly along with relevant motifs ie flowers, autumn leaves, snowflakes etc

Does that all sound as clear as mud! Yeah thought so - sorry! Read it again once you've had a cup of coffee :o)


Then binding....... mmmmmm........ Anybody's guess really!

14 comments:

Tanya said...

I'm not sure I got all that but it very pretty even without the explanation. Great work as always!

atet said...

Actually, I did understand it. First time reading it too. Then again, it's late. I've had a lot of caffine. Not sure my brain is actually working anymore. Just kidding -- it's going to be beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I like your idea of the four blocks being sashed the same but each section being different. It's coming together very nicely :-)

Hedgehog said...

I love the way you're bringing these blocks together!

Tracey in CT said...

It is a neat idea, and it looks great so far!

Lily Mulholland said...

Good lord Anne!! That is one amazing concept for a quilt.

I think you'll have to go for a scrappy border made up of many of your inside fabrics - maybe all the checks? Yikes!

Joyce said...

I understood right away but I am drinking coffee as I read. It looks fantastic.

Libby said...

I think I get it . . . but I'm on my second cup of coffee *s*

YankeeQuilter said...

I like the four season design! Green's have such a wide range they can be both fun and a challenge!

McIrish Annie said...

sounds like a plan! good idea to put it together right away.

Fiona said...

I think I get it - but I'm not too worried - I'll just carry on looking at the pictures :-)

Sue Wild said...

I like your selection of blocks and mix of colours. It's always difficult trying to get something that will pull all the different seasons together but make it look cohesive.

I had a look at Spencer's quilt, which I've been following for a while. Although not what one would call a baby quilt, the quilt is lovely and hope it will be treasured.

Congratulations on your blog-aversary

Best Wishes

Sue

Anonymous said...

I had to stop by I saw your comment on Sandra's blog (Diary of SAHM). It was your name I noticed, you don't happen to have relatives in the Lancashire area do you? My best pal is a Bebbington her family's from the Wirral area but they live in Littleborough now...just a long shot I guess there are 1000s of Bebbingtons roaming England :)

Your quilts are just beautiful by the way.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

It's a great idea, the 4 seasons quilt: love the sashing continuity and yet it's own seasonal personality, too! Great job, great post!