Tuesday, May 08, 2007

A Surprisingly Quilt Filled Weekend

Well considering we've had a house full of visitors all weekend I've managed to get a surprising amount of quilty time in - not so much stitching but plenty of admiring.
Sunday morning I had to run Sarah to work for a couple of hours - she doesn't usually do Sundays - it interferes too much with the rugby - but now the season is over she is free to help out anyone who might need a shift covering - hence taking her to the pool for 9am
One daughter safely delivered meant I could head off for Corfe, a village south of Taunton where the local quilting group were holding their very first exhibition. Sadly I was in such a hurry to get out of the house that I forgot to take the camera with me. So the only photo from here is a picture of the goodies I returned with - spots are always so useful! The colours aren't exactly true - the piece which looks dark brown in the bottom right hand corner is actually the most delicious shade of aubergine - yummy!
Then yesterday our monthly speaker group decided that, instead of having our usual evening meeting with a speaker, we would hire a 'suitcase collection' from the Quilter's Guild. This comprised of 41 square quilts each measuring about 2ft square made by a selection of quilters around the UK on the theme 'Traditional Quilts' all packed into an average suitcase - amazing what you can fit into a piece of luggage.
To my surprise I found this quilt among them which was made by Mary, one of the ladies I'm doing the four seasons swap with - what fun!
As you can see from these three red and cream quilts, traditional was most definitely the name of the game and they were no less lovely for being so. I've taken photos of all the quilts there so may well drip them out into my blog over the next few days. However I couldn't decide which was my absolute favourite.
It was a toss up between this bold and bright New York Beauty
Or this gentler appliqued tree quilt - the quilting and applique on this one was absolutely exquisite
I'd have happily taken both of them home but sadly, at the end of the day, they had to go back into that suitcase.

13 comments:

Melanie said...

Love your new fabrics---

YankeeQuilter said...

What a great program for the quilt group. Looks like they had a real variety of quilts.

The new fabrics look wonderful!

The Calico Cat said...

Thanks for sharing, the quilting on the tree is GREAT!

Love the Aubergine (eggplant) purple fabric!

Chookyblue...... said...

My fav is the bottom one.
Lucky you getting to see some wonderful quilts

Libby said...

Sounds (and looks) like a wonderful program. Sometimes I think those speakers must have magic suitcases *s*

atet said...

Thanks for sharing the inspiration. I have the feeling that suitcase hides a dimensional porthole. Much like a Tardis (and yes, I am a Dr. Who geek).

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

What a great idea to have a suitcase of a range of quilts, good fabric purchasing, Tracey

meggie said...

Yummy new fabrics! Enjoyable posting.
Love all your pics.

Fiona said...

Can never resist spots - and you're right, they come in very useful.

Lily Mulholland said...

Some eye candy there Anne. And it looks aubergine to me!

Judy said...

Both are tops to me too!

Vintage to Victorian said...

Hi Ann - What an amazing collection. Absolutely fascinating to someone who can't quilt!!

Thanks for your lovely comments re the wedding. H does actually organise weddings as part of her job as functions manager (see one of my earlier posts) but we've always thought she ought to go out on her own! Sue

Quilts And Pieces said...

Gosh trying to catch up, I"m so far behind. But I love these quilts you shared. I love the tree one! But the NY beauty is wonderful too!