Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Playing with Confetti

I didn't have to go into the office today - as I am Clerk to the School's Governing Body I not only have to work occasional evenings (like last night) to take minutes at the meetings of the full Governing Body, but I also get one morning per term (three times a year) out of the office to attend a Clerks' Briefing.
There we are brought up to speed on all sorts of legal and procedural matters to do with helping to run our own school's Governing Body and also to have the chance to network with other clerks from around our region.
Today's briefing finished nice and early so I had time on returning home via the supermarket to have a bit of a play with some confetti blocks similar to the quilts I posted yesterday.
I thought as a trial I'd pull out some of my hand dyes to play with. I wouldn't bother about colour schemes, just use the fabric texture as a common theme.
This is half of the blocks I'll need for the project in mind.
They measure 4.5" unfinished and I will do an arrangement of them '4 x 4' and then put one in each corner of the border which I might make in a sort of piano key fashion but not all parallel if you get my drift.
The completed item should measure about 24" square and is destined, I think, for the new notice board above my desk at work when we've completed the office remodel that we've just started.
In some ways I begrudge every minute I spend at work - I'd be far happier at home playing with fabric. Sadly the playing won't add to the household budget so I, like probably most of you, have to compromise and go out to earn some money so I can supplement my husband's income and afford to play fabric at other times. It's not that I don't enjoy my job - I work with some lovely people and sometimes even feel like I have a bit of an idea what I'm doing - I'd just rather be doing something else.
A wallhanging like this pinned above my desk will help to remind me why I'm there when I wish I wasn't.

7 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

Anne, I love that pattern!! where can I find it?? I'm not a fan of the small block but will size it up!

BTW, have you received an invite to the yahoo 365 group?? if not, I will contact the group mum and get an invitation sent to you.

enjoy your day off!!

Nancy said...

I'm loving those confetti quilts you're churning out. Why oh why are you tempting me with a new project when I've vowed to only work on UFOs this month?????

I too wish I didn't have to work. But we like to eat so work I must. And in our household it's a matter of David working to supplement my income as I make more and carry our benefits. So if anyone gets to quit it's him. :-(

Melanie said...

I'm crazy about the hand dyes...they look great in that pattern.

Doodlebug Gail said...

That's going to be spectacular Anne! Love the colours.

Fiona said...

As I write this, at 6.00 in the evening, I am so tired after a day at work I can hardly keep my eyes open. Playing with fabric wins hands down every time.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such a great idea. I love the confettis and I am sure I will show the method to my students. The home dyed fabrics are just right for that pattern. Very elegant! Take care.

KC Quilter said...

Ooooh, I like the looks of these blocks--so soft and subtle. Hand dyes are so wonderful.