Saturday, May 12, 2007

Woo-hoo - the quilting is finished on Spencer's Stars


Ok so there's still the small matter of a binding... but the bulk of the work is completed.

This morning I woke feeling not that much different to yesterday. Thank you to those of you who sent me cyber hugs they were very much appreciated.

However I took a firm hold of myself, shook myself (metaphorically, you understand) and decided that I was going to achieve something today

And here we are - Spencer's Stars has been sitting on my sewing table whispering reproachfully at me for weeks... "You know you've still got me to finish... never mind playing with all those bright coloured hand dyes.... this baby will be starting school before you get off your behind to get me finished at this rate....." and so on and so forth

So I did it! I cleared enough junk on the top of the table to avoid quilting a stray bit of something inadvertently into the back of the quilt - yes I've done that before! - and cracked on with it.

Mind you a solid afternoon sitting machine quilting had to be broken up now and again or my back would've objected a bit too much. I was either popping across the room to the computer to look at the BBC website see how Gloucester were doing against Leicester in the Guinness Championship final (we lost - boo hoo!) or I was nipping into the conservatory and ironing a couple of items from the ironing pile to stand up and stretch my back out - multi-tasking or what?

Anyway the main thing is it's one major UFO out of the quilting pile and into the binding pile (and some of the ironing done too)

Now.... if only I could remember where I've put that putty coloured leftover fabric for the binding!

24 comments:

Fiona said...

Well done, it looks fabulous - that stippling must have taken an age.

quiltpixie said...

It is beautiful. Hopefully you'll have good weather to sit in the conservatory and get the binding on soon too :-)

Doodlebug Gail said...

Beautiful, just beautiful! I love the way you quilted it .... simple piecing and gorgeous quilting has made for an heirloom quilt for Spencer.

Judy said...

It absolutely fabulous! What a beautiful job you did on the quilting, you should feel very proud fo the job you did!

meggie said...

The quilting is lovely. I am sure he will love that quilt.

Forgetmenot said...

It's very beautifully quilted. What a lot of work! definitely something to be proud of.

Tanya said...

Congratulations of getting Spencer's quilt done! It really is beautiful! I'm sorry you weren't feeling up to par yesterday! Although we've never met you are my "zany" friend in England. Your creations are always beautiful and inspiring! Love you!

Juliann in WA said...

This is a lovely quilt. So glad you were able to get yourself going on it. Must feel good.

atet said...

Oh does that look lovely or what? I'm sure Spencer's parents will love it. (Depending on Spencer's age -- he may as well, but, it's so hard to tell with babies!)

Sorry to hear you were having "down" day -- but glad to see you've gotten through it. I have the same kinds of days myself every once in awhile -- I find chocolate helps.

Kim said...

Beautiful! I had forgotten about that quilt. You really do nice work!

Carol E. said...

Your quilting is gorgeous!

Hedgehog said...

The machine quilting looks gorgeous! Congratulations!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a fabulous job you've done Anne. I'm sure both baby and mother will love it.

Melanie said...

Stunning quilt...I laugh , I'm always hiding things from myself with the "intent" of keeping them safe..

Knot Garden said...

Beautiful job! So tasteful and classic. A real achievement.

sewkalico said...

Well Done Anne! It's always nice to get a UFO done and I hope it's lifted your spirits.

ps I have just started reading your blog so not sure how far Ostrich '06 is, but I enjoyed doing that project with you and the other Ostrichers.

Nancy said...

WAHOO! It looks great and doesn't it feel good to have a finish.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Anne it is wonderful! I've loved it from the start!

Anonymous said...

Well, if this quilt was a bit blah in the beginning, it's certainly turned into a beautiful swan now! The quilting has definitely made the quilt. It's stunning :-)

YankeeQuilter said...

The quilting looks great in the photo so I can only imagine it is incrediable in real life!

I think the cool weather and rain had everyone a bit down the past few days. After such a beautiful April we got spoiled!

Marisa said...

This quilt is amazing and your quilting really makes it come alive. Beautiful!

Lily Mulholland said...

Anne I know you haven't enjoyed this quilt as much as we have, but the number of comments on this post should help you love it a little bit more!!

I think it's absolutely one of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen!

Clare said...

Anne - the quilting is fabulous. A masterpiece. Hope you are giving yourself loads of pats on the back.

Libby said...

Such a beauty - the quilting really sets the whole quilt. Spencer is one lucky baby *s*